Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Beloved Post #4

I enjoyed reading the portrayal of Denver near the end of the book. Earlier in the story she said she felt like she had a debt to pay. She was so dependent on her mother and later Beloved. But, she gained the confidence she needed to go out and seek help from the community. She begins to make a living for herself, and in the process she grows up. When she meets Paul D in the street she even tells him she doesn’t want his opinion about Beloved because she has her own (266-267). I like that Morrison made most of the female characters strong women.

Paul D begins to be ashamed of his behavior and changes his perspective on love. He recalls when Sixo described his love: "The pieces I am, she gather them and give them back to me in all the right order (272-73)." This quote reminds me of one of the topics we’ve been talking about this semester: how Modernist writers (and artists) began to see the world as a fragmented place and one puts the fits the pieces back together as best as possible. The inner dialogue and reflection of each of the characters is useful in accomplishing this for Morrison. I was able to get used to the time shifts after I really got further into the story. Looking back, I actually admire how she does this.

Renee pointed out that the story would be good without all the supernatural elements. I can see her point, I haven’t decided if I agree. The story of Sethe’s escape from slavery; the murder of her child; everything the other slaves endured; the underground railroad; Baby Suggs; etc. are each intriguing elements to the story. All the trials and tribulations resulting from slavery, the stuff that would/could have happened, could make for a dramatic, historical fiction novel. So, I keep asking why Morrison would choose to blend in all the supernatural elements too. However, overall I did like the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment