Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Shout out for Gwendolyn Brooks (in honor of her and BLACK HISTORY MONTH)




I just felt like I needed to give a little credit to this Pulitzer Prize winning, African American, Female, poet! I think she's awesome and what better month to say it than Black History Month.

Here's a tribute I found (she says it so much better than I ever could):
"I was born two years after Gwendolyn Brooks, as the first Black writer ever, had received this highest honor in American letters. And it wasn't until 17 years later, when as a gawky adolescent I spent the whole of a muggy midwestern summer combing the local library shelves for something that might speak to me-that the poems of Gwendolyn Brooks leapt off the pages of the book in my hands and struck me like a thunderbolt. These were words that spoke straight from the turbulent center of life-words that nourished like meat, not frosting. Yes, I was struck by these poems, poems with muscle and sinew, poems that weren't afraid to take the language and revamp it, twist it and energize it so that it shimmied and dashed and lingered.....Thank you, Gwendolyn, for your invaluable contributions to changing the face of our world." (http://www.math.buffalo.edu/~sww/brooks/brooks-biobib.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment